— from the League of Women Voters of Washington www.lwvwa.org —
This Week’s Alert! If you do nothing else, here is the most important action you can take:
Let’s Make Voting Rights A Reality for All!
The League has made passing the WA Voting Rights Act (WVRA) a top priority for the last five years. This year we have a real chance of passage – but only if our legislators hear from you in support of this bill. Click here to tell your Representatives that you stand committed to providing full and equal access to our democracy to everyone in our state and support the WVRA.
WHO PAYS TAXES? and WHO DOES NOT?
Pass Tax Exemption Transparency and Accountability Act: Legislators have awarded special exemptions from taxes to some businesses. Almost 700 tax preferences valued at over $11 billion dollars of revenue are lost each year. Is it fair? SSB 5513 will make it transparent. Please click here to support passage of a bill to require transparency and accountability in tax exclusions.
Status and Actions Needed for Other Legislative Priorities
Please click on the areas of interest to you to see the status of bills that the Lobby Team is working on and what action is needed this week. The issue webpages include the Lobby Team contact information, League positions, and history of bills the League is tracking for this legislative session.
- Democracy: NEW Great progress, but we still need your help in the next two days!...(read more here)
- Economic and Social Justice: NEW Two bills designed to reform our criminal justice system are still alive this session. Year after year they were passed by large majorities in the House only to wither in the Senate. …(read more here)
- Health Care: NEW New bills in the Senate and House regarding opioid use disorder treatment and prevention up for discussion…(read more here)
- Reproductive Rights: NEW Two important bills dealing with reproductive health care are moving through the legislative process…(read more here)
- Gun Safety: NEW ESB 5992, the Bump Stock Ban, which passed the Senate, was heard in the House on February 9, and is scheduled for Executive Session in the House Judiciary Committee on Thursday…(read more here)
- Education: NEW Civics bill needs to be heard in the Senate…(read more here)
- Civic Education: NEW HB 1896, expanding civics educations and professional development, passed the House and now moves to the Senate…(read more here)
- Climate Change, Energy, & Transportation: NEW This is the week of baited breath. Will the bills that we support get through the house of origin?…(read more here)
- Natural Resources: NEW Puget Sound and Salish Sea Virtual Lobby Day is Monday, February 12...(read more here)
- Fair & Adequate Revenue: NEW Attend the critical hearing Friday, February 16 on proposed changes to Capital Gains and Property Taxes…(read more here)
Click here for a list of Lobby Team members and contact info.
Legislative Cut Off Dates